Healthy Spinach and Smoked Salmon Quiche

Really, healthy and quiche in the same sentence you say? Yes! and its darn tasty!


I love my sleep in the morning, its the time that I have my best dreams, or my strangest... this morning I dreamt that I was a bumblebee and in order to continue buzzing about in dream land I ran out of time to make breakfast resulting in a muffin from the local bakery. The local bakery does make great muffins but I hate feeling all doughy, not to mention looking doughy so I made this Quiche for breakfast tomorrow, and the next day or as long as it lasts so that tomorrow morning I am free to live in la la land for a little while longer.

As I mentioned I don't want to look doughy so I made a few substitutions to make this a healthier version while still keeping all of the flavour.














For the Crust I used a tried and true Martha Stewar Pate Brisee with a funky twist.

1 Cup Spelt Flour
1/8 Cup Ground Flax
1/8 Cup White Flour
1/2 cup chopped cold butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp sugar
1/4 Cup ice cold water

I put all of the dry stuff in the food processor and buzzed it to mix it thoroughly. Then I added the chopped butter and pulsed it until it was at a mealy texture, and while continuing to pulse I added the water until it all came together. I think the Spelt and Flax really added a nutty texture as well as health perks.
Martha says to shape it into a disk and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. I put it directly into a spring form pan and pushed it down and around the sides and then refrigerated it. I always end up having to use a bottle for a rolling pin because I don't have one...















The Eggy Custard is made with:

5 eggs
1 1/2 Cup of 1% Milk
2 tbsp Flour
1 box of frozen spinach
1/4 Cup Red Onion
150 Grams of Wild Smoked Salmon Lox
1 tsp each salt and pepper
pinch of nutmeg

In a bowl whisk up the eggs, add the milk and gradually add the flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Once the crust is nice and cold add some finely diced red onion to the bottom of the crust, spread around the lox around then top with the spinach (after defrosting and wringing out as much of the liquid as possible - the drier the better). Top the fillings with the eggy custard and bake in a 350 degree oven for about an hour, until the filling is set and doesn't giggle and the crust is nice and brown. Don't forget to give it a rotation half way through. Let it rest for about half an hour before serving, or enjoy at room temperature with a nice side salad, or cold as I will probably for breakfast after enjoying a flight around the garden. Buzz Buzz!

No comments:

Post a Comment