Pork Chops with Apples and Onions

Yum!


What am amazing day! BBQ season is definitely here on the island so I decided to do something that I have never done before... make a rub! and I did it! and it was a lot easier then I thought.
Honestly I'm not a huge pork fan, and while I'm sharing secrets I ran out of propane and cooked these in a frying pan. Don't tell anyone, and seriously try it on the BBQ because these babies are good but on the BBQ everything is better.

So lets get on with it then:

Funky Pork Rub

2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup pepper
1/8 cup dry mustard
1/8 cup onion powder
1/8 cup paprika
2 tbsp dry rosemary
1 clove of fresh garlic

That's all I used!

I combined it, but only added the garlic to the amount of rub that I needed, you can keep the rest of the rub for later, but not with the garlic, I guess you could use the dry stuff... but I personally just think that's plain old wrong, but I always encourage others to take a recipe and make it how they like it so feel free, I won't send the garlic police.... not this time anyway!

So I rubbed down 4 pork pork loin chops and let them hang out for a while, the trick here is to really rub it in, get to know your meat and give it some love, so it loves you back!

Now onto the side, which in my opinion is equally as important, and was equally delicious.

1 huge or 2 medium onions sliced
3 mackintosh apples sliced
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp rosemary
salt and pepper

Start with the onions, slice them up and add them to a pan with 1 tbsp of butter and about 1/4 cup of water, the water helps to soften the onions and allows them to be insulated so that they cook evenly, it also encourages the sugars to come out so they get nice and caramelized, cook it over medium to medium high heat until the water dissolves and the onions begin to get golden, then add another tbsp of butter, the apples and the brown sugar, stir and let the apples begin to soften, add the rosemary and season with salt and pepper, this is where the tasting begins, I like to add just a hint of vanilla, for me it was around 1/8 of a tbsp but add a few drops at a time and taste until it has a little something that makes them say hmm... but not enough to make it seem sweet, like pie, the real trick to these apples and onions is that they are still savoury.

Once the onions and apples were seasoned and are getting to know each other you can put the pork chops on, I would have loved to BBQ them but as I sadly admitted before I cooked them in a medium hot skillet with a bit of olive oil for only a few minutes a side, it is very important not to let the pork dry out, use a hot enough pan that it will get nice and brown fairly quickly. I also brushed them with a little Cattleman BBQ sauce that I thinned out with a little bit of orange juice. After all of that, they should look this delicious:



And laid on top of a bed of savoury apples and onions it looks even more delicious: Hello BBQ season!



No comments:

Post a Comment